Friday, August 23, 2013

Autumn Colors from an Experiment

I actually meant to work on some Christmas cards but when I saw a couple of challenges I was geared towards a Fall card.  I have first drawn my inspiration from CASE study.  This week the guest at CASE study is the technique guru Jennifer McGuire.  Her inspiration piece has a number of colorful paper strips that she stamped on.  That got me into using paper strips.

Then I saw the inspiration picture from 4 Crafty Chicks.  The pattern on the crocheted throw again reminds me of using paper strips, then I thought making a fall card would be appropriate because that's the time we'd like to cuddle with a throw.

Next thing I did was actually playing with the Cricut Craft Room.  I am such a tech idiot that even though it has been out there for more than ever I have never used it.  A couple weeks back my craft area was reorganized and that facilitated me to connect my computer to my Cricut.  I randomly picked some images to start playing with it and I've picked the maple leaves.

Since I have got the maple leaves cut out from a cardstock, I was hoping to make use of it for a fall card:


I am very happy when I can turn my test piece into a card I can use.  Usually I have to trash my trials and errors because they are absolutely signs of failure.  This time, however, I was able to use the cardstock where I cut two leaves from.  The leaves' placement, orientation and sizes were totally a result of an experiment but I like it and I may as well use it! 

That's the time when I went back to CASE Study and 4 Crafty Chicks.  How could I make use of the negative of the leaf?  Beneath the bigger leaf I've put paper strips to create this colorful leaf while the small one is monotone.  I'm afraid the picture does not capture it well, but in real person it is really cool to see that there are two layers of paper but the card is flat.  It also gives an illusion that the paper-striped-leaf is a sticker but it actually comes under the base.

I must give credit to Seize the Sketch which provides me with a sketch that finalizes my creation:


My card is entering the challenge at Paper Crafting Journey - Anything Goes and A Random Thursday card challenge - Anything Goes.

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing our challenge, great job! Very nice!

    Leanne DT 4 Crafty Chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun..I love fall cards!
    Thanks for joining us at Seize the Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat, unique Thanksgiving card! Love the colors, and those leaves are fantastic! Thanks for joining us for the A.R.T. "Anything Goes" challenge this week! ~Cheryl, Senior DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is FUN :) i need to start on my Fall cards!!! Thanks for joining us on Seize the Sketch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce! Yes! It's feeling like fall and your card is wonderful. I love the leaves, the woodgrain background, and the stripes of bold color - everything is tied together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea and fall cards. I love the colors and lines. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Joyce. This is fun and I love the funky colours and design in the leaves. Thanks for joining us on Seize the Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! Thanks for joining us this week at 4 Crafty Chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very neat idea! Thanks for joining us this week at 4 Crafty Chicks for my inspiration challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card and lovely colours. Thanks for joining us at Paper Crafting Journey!
    Hugs, Iwona

    ReplyDelete