Monday, April 14, 2014

Having fun with Stamping

These days I don't seem to be able to focus on one project.  Instead I like to hop from one to another.  Not long ago I wanted to make some Hello/Friendship cards.  After I've made a couple I wanted to make a few last minute Easter cards.  Before I've completed all the Easter cards, I want to make a Mother's Day card.

I had so much fun playing with stamping for this card (that I want to make more before completing my Easter cards):



I was inspired by this muse from CASE Study:


I really like the bold colors and the use of repeated motif on the card.  Instead of cutting shapes from a die-cutting machine, I wanted to try it with stamping.  I found the Stitch Wonder stamp set that has been collecting dust since I brought it home and determined that I would use one of the images as the motif.  I've chosen the image has blanket stitches around a heart.  Then I wanted to add more to it.  First, I added a circle around the heart.  The circle comes from another set - Perfect Fit - Happy Birthday.  Then I wanted to add a tiny little heart inside the heart.  I dug through my stash and found this teeny tiny heart from Love Life.  The sentiment comes from a new set called Mother's Day.  The colors used from outside to inside are: Lagoon, Pear, Creme Brulee and Smoothie.  

In case you are curious how I got the big heart in a different color from the blanket stitch, I actually did a surgery on the stamp.  I used an exacto knife to cut the heart out from the stamp, so I have the heart as a stand alone stamp and the blanket stitch square as another one.  It may sound scary but trust me your stamps won't scream and it will "recover" when you put them back together.  Thanks to the high quality acrylic materials I could easily put the heart back to the square and use them together as one stamp as if no surgery was ever performed.  I like to get more mileage out of my stamps and this is one of the ways to do so.

You could certainly achieve two-tone stamping with masking.  If I were to stamp the image just once, I would probably use masking but I was using it as a repeated building block, so the surgery makes it more efficient. 

I'm also linking up my card to 
Clear it Out Challenge - Real or faux stitching
Rhedd & Rosie - Anything Goes
Craftin Desert Divas - Color Inspiration

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. This is a lovely card !!! Great design and use of patterns !! Thank you so much for joining us at Craftin' Desert Divas Linky Party !!

    Mayra DTM
    Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT card! I am AMAZED at all the stamping you did . . . and you did a GREAT job! I just LOVE the stitching stamp, too! Thanks for joining us at Clear It Out Challenge! Hope to see you again soon. (and Good Luck!!!)

    Kathy CIO DT
    UpintheNightwithKat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card.

    Thanks for joining us at Rhedd & Rosie Challenge Blog.

    Moira DT. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful design! So cozy, brilliantly folk... love folk style!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos for creating one amazing background out of stamping. That takes some mad skills and you've perfected it. Beautiful take on the original!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!! This is definitely a technique I'm going to have to try!! Thanks so much for linking up at Craftin Desert Divas! (:

    Krystle CDD DT
    www.krystlescraftyniche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete