Monday, August 4, 2014

Happy Birthday

I've made a birthday card using the Blue Skies stamp set and dies, one of my all time favorite Lawn fawn sets.  It is one of the earlier sets I've acquired and it remains one of my most-frequently-used sets!


I was inspired by the Shari Carroll's card over at CASE Study challenge:


I like Shari's card has a big bold image as a focal point.  Despite the fact that I wanted to do the same, I can't really find one big image like that.  That's why the balloon stamps come in handy - the two of them would combine into one big image!

I also like the vibrant colors of Shari's flowers.  Even though I wish I could color like that, I have not yet ventured into Copic markers.  I am still in the distress marker and colored pencils territory.  This time I used my prismacolor pencils and blend it slightly with gamsol.  I didn't do anything about shading, as the balloon images do not scream "color me realistic" to me  (Speaking of which, is that why I like them so much?  I don't have to worry too much about coloring them but will still achieve nice results!).

I guess Shari has used a big background stamp on her kraft card base.  For my card, however, I've made my own background.  I stamped the clouds repeatedly in two shades of blue.  In fact, more than two because I didn't clean the stamps in between stamping so when the inks were mixed they got into a third, or even fourth shades of blue.  In real life it is pretty nice, it appears that some clouds are further/higher away than others.

Similar to what Shari did, I used a banner for my sentiment, except that mine did not go across the entire card, just to the right.  So there you have it, all the elements I've "copied and stolen" from Shari's card and made them my own.  This is really a fun process and I strongly encourage you to play along.  You see that even though I've copied so much, the two cards look very different.  The best part?  I've learned so much from the Muse Shari and yet my card is still my style. :)

I'm linking my card to the following:
Crafting at the weekend - Anything Goes
Crafty Calendar - Anything Goes
Aloha Friday Challenge - Birthday Boy
Time 4 Scrap - Anything Goes
Treasured Times Stamps - Anything Goes
Great Impressions - Birthday Bash
The Corrosive Challenge - Birthday
CASE Study challenge - see Muse above

Thanks for stopping by!


7 comments:

  1. Such a super fun card!!! LOVE the bright colors! Thanks for joining us at Great Impressions! :) HUGS! Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card thanks for joining in at crafting at the weekend and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those balloons!
    Thanks for joining us at Case Study!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card! It's so colorful and happy! Thanks for joining us at Great Impressions for our Birthday Bash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet card! I love the idea of floating by on a pretty day and balloon cards always make me think of that! Just lovely! Thank you so much for sharing your card with us at Great Impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it! thanks for joining us this time at kitty bee designs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely card so simple yet so effective Thank you for joining us at Crafty Calender challenge
    Bettyxxx

    ReplyDelete